Thursday, August 02, 2007

Flying

“Good afternoon folk this is your captain speaking. Just to let you know, we have no idea what’s happening”. . . . .

Not the vote of confidence you want to hear from the guy responsible to flying you across the country! But that is what we heard sitting on the tarmac at Perth airport, waiting to fly to Melbourne.

Now before you all expire from fright – I’m still here aren’t I? So nothing happened. Indeed, we weren’t flying. We hadn’t even moved. Doors still open etc etc.

But we were missing paperwork apparently. Somehow it ended up in Sydney. Sydney? Perth? They don’t even sound the same to me. Let alone being thousands of kilometers away.

1 hour, 20mins later the paperwork arrived. I thought this was the age of fast and efficient??? Does fax really take that long nowadays . . . . . . .?

Thankfully, we had tail winds, and got to Melbourne in 2hrs, 45mins – a record for a flight I’ve been on. A spare seat next to me and an internationally linked flight, meaning we had in seat entertainment ensured that it was a good cruisy flight. When we made it off the ground.

The flight back not so fun, as it was a small plane, old, smaller seats, etc. Great movie, shame I couldn’t see a lot of it! And head winds – making the same distance over took 4 hrs 20 coming back. Weather. Sheesh.