Monday, April 30, 2007

The (Belated) End of the Affair . . . .with the UK

Okay, I need to finish off the UK part of this Blog NOW! (2.5 weeks belatedly after I leave the UK – sorry!).

I’ll end with the following. My final words – said to my friends in the Duck that last night . . . . .

When I think back on this year, I am reminded of that song from the musical Rent (one of my favourite musicals). Called “Seasons of Love”, it asks how do you measure a year?

I can measure this past UK year like this:
In rota’s
In running times
In the number of times I’ve washed my white shirts
Latecomer points and standing ovations
In patrons

Of warm summer evenings
Nights at the duck
Pints of coke
Sexy men
700 pounds

But more importantly, I measure this year in friendships.
In laughter
In cups of coffee
In green room chocolate
Late nights amongst great company
Confessions and wed bed and kill

The love. It has been a most wonderful season of love. From you all.

When I came over, I had no idea of the friendships, deep intense and hopefully long lasting friendships I would make. Which of course makes saying goodbye even harder.

“How lucky am I to have known people who are so hard to say goodbye to.”

But goodbye for the time being. Thank god for email! I shall miss our group, and the extended family I have grown to love. Please stay in touch!

“No lapse of time or distance can lessen the friendship of those who are persuaded of each others worth.”