Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Book Review - The Overlook

The Overlook

by Michael Connelly

I felt like I’d watched ‘24’ when I finished The Overlook. The story takes place over 12 hours, packed with twists, trauma and missing cesium.

Bosch is back, working Homicide Special. Called to an execution, he becomes involved with an international terrorist hunt. FBI Agent Rachel Walling is a key player, creating tension for Bosch and complicating matters.

I love Connelly’s work, although he (like others) has a pattern. Crazy twist - check, dodgy cop - check, shots fired - checks, lead character brilliant but flawed. Check. That is Bosch – uncompromising, dedicated, yet flawed. Connelly’s skill lies in getting into Bosch’s head, and I love him with his faults.

This is a fast paced book which I didn’t want to put down. And this time, The Overlook ends with a question that will leave you screaming for the next one . . . .



Written for Crime City E-Newsletter June 2007 (AND NOT PUBLISHED BAH!)