Thursday, October 19, 2006

6 months in

The 18 October (yesterday) was my six-month anniversary of being in the UK. Always a good time for a little reflection . . . Where has the time gone? What have I done? Achieved? Regretted? Am I still enjoying myself? What is there left to still look forward too?

This has been a most surreal six months. As mundane as my life may be day to day (get up, shower, errands, go to work etc), there is still an element of stopped time, and living a different life to the one I have in Australia. Some times I just have to pinch myself to make sure it is real. . . . for example last week. Saying goodbye to a company of actors, I mentioned, “I’ll see you down in London in December.” For some reason, when I said that, I just thought – what the hell? Am I really here??

So what have I done?

Some facts and figures

* Got a FOH job at the Royal Shakespeare Company – big goal achieved
* Extended that job into some work in the Learning department – furthering my career
* Seen 21 Professional Shakespeare Productions / adaptations
* Seen only 5 other plays / Musicals etc (need to work on that one!!!)
* Seen countless number of amateur Shakespeare productions in The Dell – some good, some bad, all interesting!
* Travelled – London (three times), In and around Warwickshire, Southwest of Wales
* Seen, castles, ruins, the coastline, spectacular awe inspiring scenery. Green green and green.
* Worked in 5 different venues, at a total of 145 shifts so far
* Not earning enough money. Pushing my credit card to the limit
* Met new people and made new friends – actors, foh staff, and other company members. Mr Sexy Man and multiple others. A feast for the eyes!
* Attended a Royal Garden Party and got up close and personal with the Queen
* Started a journalism course

Regrets
* Not having enough time off work to attend some of the festivals I wanted to: Robin Hood Festival, Jousting Tournament etc
* Not being able to travel as much – still haven’t made it into Europe!
* Missing some of the shows – I’ve missed Henry 4th Part 2. When on earth is the Bell Shakespeare going to put that on?!!!
* Not being more open and friendly with the actors and crew – it has only been in the last few weeks that I’ve stopped being really shy and talked to a lot of them – and it’s been brilliant.


Looking forward – what is left to come
* The rest of the festival – Merry Wives with Judi Dench, King Lear with Sir Ian Mckellen etc.
* A cold, winter English Christmas!
* More travelling – top on my list are Oxford, the North, Scotland and Italy.
* More shows, more parties, more pub visits
* More new people to meet and hopefully become friends with

CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!