Friday, October 06, 2006

Wales Day 3

(having trouble with the photos, will come later)

Checked out of the hostel, and quite glad to do so! Started driving . . . . a quick walk around Swansea, including a visit to the Dylan Thomas Centre on the Marina. I was really impressed – there is a wonderful permanent exhibition on his life and poems and I found that I really liked his poetry. Yes – I haven’t read his stuff before – sorry if that shocks!

Kept driving along the coast to Mumbles. Through the town which was quaint and seasidy to the point. There, parked on the hill, my heart and soul relaxed – the ocean, the ocean!!!! The grassed topped cliffs either side, the tide out, wide expanses of rocks and sand ran down to the clear, blue grey sparkling ocean.

I kept driving after a short spell, although I could have stayed there all day. I drove right down the Gower Peninsular – a wonderful curvy drive along small winding roads all the way.

Ditched the shoes at Port Eynon, and went for a walk along the beach. Ah! Sand between the toes, the sun was shining, waves gently lapping the shore. Brilliant.
I then did have to do a lot of driving – I didn’t want to drive the curvy roads at dusk. Sped along the main A road heading West. A few hours later, I came to by destination for that night – Broadhaven.

By now, I had run out of new and interesting exclamations – resorting to the tried and tested (and well used) “ oh my”!!!!!!

A little town on the seaside – a pebble beach surrounded by grassy hills . . . Beautiful. The youth hostel was big, quiet and comfortable. And a mere minute walk to the beach. A dinner of fish and chips, rugged up in my jumper as I watched the sun set over the ocean, completed a wonderful day. . . .