Hack
Just looking over the blogs recent updates . . . feeling very behind my apologies.
I have started a ten week (once a week) Journalism course, focussing on the writing. It's through the University of Warwick Open Learning Studies unit and means I commute up to Warwick Uni every Monday (3 hrs public transport in total!).
I am loving the course - two weeks in and my brain is enjoying the challenge, and I'm loving trying a different type of writing.
Each week we have to write assignements - a different type of article. The first week (last week) it was a comment article, this week it is a profile. It's keeping me busy, I can tell you! So far, the hardest thing is being "economical" with my words - try writing a comment article that can only be 250 words and see how you go! And you all know from this blog just how much I can write!
Last class we were talking about news reporting - stating the facts, but with enough drama and interest to catch the reader. Peter (the lecturer) gave us half a page of text (about 250 words) of misc information about a car accident and said "I need a 70 word article on this accident in 15 mins". After we'd all stopped gaping at him, it was quite a rush!!! Although I wasn't happy with mine, it was not bad for a first shot!
Will post some of the articles up here no doubt as time moves along - and probably AFTER Peter has marked / suggested improvements for them!!!
I have started a ten week (once a week) Journalism course, focussing on the writing. It's through the University of Warwick Open Learning Studies unit and means I commute up to Warwick Uni every Monday (3 hrs public transport in total!).
I am loving the course - two weeks in and my brain is enjoying the challenge, and I'm loving trying a different type of writing.
Each week we have to write assignements - a different type of article. The first week (last week) it was a comment article, this week it is a profile. It's keeping me busy, I can tell you! So far, the hardest thing is being "economical" with my words - try writing a comment article that can only be 250 words and see how you go! And you all know from this blog just how much I can write!
Last class we were talking about news reporting - stating the facts, but with enough drama and interest to catch the reader. Peter (the lecturer) gave us half a page of text (about 250 words) of misc information about a car accident and said "I need a 70 word article on this accident in 15 mins". After we'd all stopped gaping at him, it was quite a rush!!! Although I wasn't happy with mine, it was not bad for a first shot!
Will post some of the articles up here no doubt as time moves along - and probably AFTER Peter has marked / suggested improvements for them!!!


<< Home