Friday, May 05, 2006

Warwick Castle Last Sunday

The Mound, Warwick Castle.
The original part of the castle - built in 1068 on the orders of William the Conqueror is burried under the currently still standing oldest part of the castle dating back to 12something . . .

Thats we I am sitting (or where I was when I wrote this!). Around me, children walk with bows and arrows, swords, and medieval garb. Down in the Central Courtyard (big enough for a footy field), Medieval music floats on the winds towards me - at the moment, a merry tune with a reed instrument and a lute.

If no other tourists were here it would be wonderful.

Unfortunately, it's a weekend (what on earth was I thinking?), and I've joined the other few thousand people who decided to come out on what has turned into a fine weather day. In addition to this, the food service people here are appalling, and I almost feel obliged to complain to someone about them - I haven't had such rude service for a while. *sigh*.

But the castle is just brilliant. Own by The Tussauds Group (think wax figures) there are delightful exhibitions of life in Medieval times, and the 18th Century. You get to see almost all of the castle areas - including the 500 or so steps right up to the top of the towers. Bloody hell, I nearly died - although I'm not sure whether it was because of the 500 steps, or because they were part of one of those circular staircases castle have - old, small, dark, and high steps.

But what a view. More photos coming soon. Until then, visit http://www.warwick-castle.co.uk/ for castle details.

Next Post - await with bated breath my rave about Hamlet . . . . .