Friday, September 22, 2006

REVIEW Measure for Measure

The Courtyard Theatre
Saturday 16th September 2006

Theatre Royal Bath / The Peter Hall Company
Directed by Peter Hall

People talk about Peter Hall with reverence around here. Founder of the modern day Royal Shakespeare Company, he remained it’s leader for nearly 10 years, taking it to London for the first time, and creating the world renown company that we know today.

So I was greatly looking forward to seeing Measure for Measure to see his style. Additionally, this was the first big show in the Courtyard other than the Henrys . . . it would be interesting to see how the theatre worked with full houses and with different cast and crew.

I was impressed. It is not a production that I would rave about, but parts of it left me moved, shocked, intrigued. I laughed quite a bit! Even though it is often classed as a Comedy, I find the subject matter quite grim, and would call it a tragedy / comedy instead.

One of Shakespeare’s most simplistic plays with very few subplots, it tells of how the Duke of Vienna announces that he will leave Vienna, appointing Angelo as his deputy and instructing him to enforce the laws, which have fallen into disuse. Angelo revives an obscure law that punishes extramarital sex with execution. His first victim is Claudio, a young gentleman whose sister Isabella is about to become a nun. Meanwhile, the Duke remains in Vienna disguised as a friar to observe Angelo’s behaviour . . .

Hall has set this version of the play in a puritan setting, which works exceedingly well. The costumes are all black, white or various shades of grey, and they can easily be interpreted for good / bad etc. They are stark and contrasting.

A simple looking set. A shiny, sheer black metal wall curved around the back of the stage, with numerous doors and gates in it. The jail (a key setting in the play) was signified by three huge steel gates that were flown in. The overall effect was stark and simplistic.

Excellent lighting design - I haven’t seen robotic lights used quite like that before. The designer (Peter Mumford) made no attempt to disguise the movement of the lights, and used sharp, well-defined corridors of light and good facial definition. Again, a stark light – white, not toned down, although there was a softer light used for the jail scenes.

Clarity is the key word that springs to mind for this production, as well as stark and simple, pure. There were sharp, defined movements, speeches, set. Silence – from the cast, and audience, was noticeable. As if people were holding their breath – enthralled.

There were, as always, a few standouts in the cast, although overall it was a strong ensemble. Michael Mears as Lucio (the clown), had the audience in stitches every time he opened his mouth, and received numerous rounds of applause when he finished a scene. The Duke – played by veteran James Laurenson managed to be likable and not likable in turn, but portrayed the distinguished duke well.

The more I saw of the play, the more I was disappointed by Isabella (played by Andrea Riseborough). She was the hardest to hear when quiet and her voice did not have the sharp, concise nature that the others had. A powerful character to play, I don’t feel that she pulled it off.

I came away thinking about the play – always a good sign in my world. The morals and values it discusses and debates are ones that seem sadly lacking in today’s world where everything goes. It was not the best I have seen this year, but certainly up there close to the top.