Royal Garden Party
Last Tuesday, 18th July, I was in the presence of Royalty! Yes, I went to Buckingham Palace for a Royal Garden Party with the Queen.
The word that comes to mind first is BRILLIANT!!!!!!! Closely followed by STINKING HOT (I think it was about 36 degrees).
Thankfully, even though I was wearing a suit, I didn’t have to remain in the jacket like the gentlemen did.
I arrived at the Hyde Park Corner Gate, as I was unable to get to the main gate – too much traffic. Surprisingly, security seemed really slack – I only had to show my security card and passport, and I wasn’t searched nor screened.
The Gardens, which I had to wander through to get to the main lawn, were beautiful, if a little dry. Although the Palace is exempt from the water restrictions, they decided to follow them anyway, so the lawns are dry and brownish, and the lake is only half full. But gorgeous wide white stone pathways underneath huge trees, lots of birds on the lake, beds of roses everywhere and little seats for quiet contemplation in various locations.
The main lawn is huge and either side there were the tea tents – one long one for the plebs like me, and then on the other side, the royal and diplomatic tea tent. In two corners were the two bands alternating tunes – a bit of jazz, a bit of classical, show tunes etc.
The family appeared at around 4pm - HRH The Queen, Prince Phillip, The Duke of York (Prince Andrew), and Princess Alexandra. Closely followed by numerous well-dressed men (known as the Queens Bodyguard), Ladies in waiting, and various other people of the entourage. No young princes in evidence sadly.
The Queen was in an aqua / white dress, Princess Alexandra in white, and the men were in Grey morning suits with tails. The Queens Body Guards men had top hats too!
I didn't unfortunately have the pleasure of a personal chat with any of the family, but I did get a good eyeball of them all - we're talking 1 metre or less away type of stuff - which I thought was an achievement given that there were 3000 people there!
People all very well dressed, although some shockers as per normal. Lots of uniforms and some national dress. I scrubbed up quite good too - photos to come later. I've decided I like wearing pretty hats!
Tea was not as plentiful by the time I got around to it - about 5pm. No sandwiches left, but very nice cake! Very nice royal ice cream too.
Everything was very stylish. Crisp white table cloths, bone china (but nothing with the crest on it - too easy to steal perhaps?), servers in tuxs. The “portable” toilets were actually tents with wooden floors, real toilets, sofas, fans etc. In other words, posh!
I have to say, it was quite surreal being there. The people I talked to, fellow guests, all came from organisations like hospitals or charities that are supported by the royal family. Each year people get nominated from the organisations – and that is how they get invited. I felt like I should have done some great deed, rather than just being Australian. Will endeavour to do so before I go again!
To finish, a wonderful, once in a lifetime (although hopefully not!) experience that I shall be talking about for ages!!!!!!!
The word that comes to mind first is BRILLIANT!!!!!!! Closely followed by STINKING HOT (I think it was about 36 degrees).
Thankfully, even though I was wearing a suit, I didn’t have to remain in the jacket like the gentlemen did.
I arrived at the Hyde Park Corner Gate, as I was unable to get to the main gate – too much traffic. Surprisingly, security seemed really slack – I only had to show my security card and passport, and I wasn’t searched nor screened.
The Gardens, which I had to wander through to get to the main lawn, were beautiful, if a little dry. Although the Palace is exempt from the water restrictions, they decided to follow them anyway, so the lawns are dry and brownish, and the lake is only half full. But gorgeous wide white stone pathways underneath huge trees, lots of birds on the lake, beds of roses everywhere and little seats for quiet contemplation in various locations.
The main lawn is huge and either side there were the tea tents – one long one for the plebs like me, and then on the other side, the royal and diplomatic tea tent. In two corners were the two bands alternating tunes – a bit of jazz, a bit of classical, show tunes etc.
The family appeared at around 4pm - HRH The Queen, Prince Phillip, The Duke of York (Prince Andrew), and Princess Alexandra. Closely followed by numerous well-dressed men (known as the Queens Bodyguard), Ladies in waiting, and various other people of the entourage. No young princes in evidence sadly.
The Queen was in an aqua / white dress, Princess Alexandra in white, and the men were in Grey morning suits with tails. The Queens Body Guards men had top hats too!
I didn't unfortunately have the pleasure of a personal chat with any of the family, but I did get a good eyeball of them all - we're talking 1 metre or less away type of stuff - which I thought was an achievement given that there were 3000 people there!
People all very well dressed, although some shockers as per normal. Lots of uniforms and some national dress. I scrubbed up quite good too - photos to come later. I've decided I like wearing pretty hats!
Tea was not as plentiful by the time I got around to it - about 5pm. No sandwiches left, but very nice cake! Very nice royal ice cream too.
Everything was very stylish. Crisp white table cloths, bone china (but nothing with the crest on it - too easy to steal perhaps?), servers in tuxs. The “portable” toilets were actually tents with wooden floors, real toilets, sofas, fans etc. In other words, posh!
I have to say, it was quite surreal being there. The people I talked to, fellow guests, all came from organisations like hospitals or charities that are supported by the royal family. Each year people get nominated from the organisations – and that is how they get invited. I felt like I should have done some great deed, rather than just being Australian. Will endeavour to do so before I go again!
To finish, a wonderful, once in a lifetime (although hopefully not!) experience that I shall be talking about for ages!!!!!!!


<< Home