Reviews x 3
In the last 10 days (this was written a week ago!) I’ve seen 5 shows – a pretty good turn around I must say. Too many however, to write long reviews for, so here are shortened reviews of three of the shows. The other two will have a longer review, where I can then hark back to my Year 12 English days and do a comparative analysis. Scary!
Romeo and Juliet – William Shakespeare
RSC Company
Royal Shakespeare Theatre
Plot: In fair Verona where we lay our scene . . . . Two lovers . . . really please. Is there anyone who doesn’t know the story?
Set/Costume/ Music etc: Brilliant music, sung by an amazing trio of women. Very spine tingling and urethral. The set – a set within a set, with cast members sitting around the stage watching the action. Worked well. Interesting way of doing the balcony scene (think of the Hatch in Lost, and you have the idea).
Standouts: Jamie Ballard as Mercutio. A brilliant performance, and he lit up the stage every time he walked on. After his death, the production lost its sparkle.
Phrases to describe: Long (it was the full text), dark, fight scenes were done with tap shoes and sticks (no swords, fights, or blood to be seen)
Weird Fact: for all my Shakespeare viewing, this was the first time I had every seen R + J performed.
Like / Not like: Average. A few good moments, but it didn’t get the heart a fluttering. Perhaps because I think Juliet is an idiot.
Embers – by Christopher Hampton (based on the novel by Sandor Marai)
Duke of York’s Theatre, London
Plot: 1940, Europe. Two old men, having not seen each other for 40 years, met again. Questions are asked about the relationships each had with the woman who came between them.
Set/Costume/ Music etc: A sparsely furnished room in a seemingly large house. Wonderful use of a fire. Sparse but effective sound effects and music.
Standout: Jeremy Irons. Star of the piece. Played a man 20 yrs older than himself. Has an intensity that I could feel 4 rows back.
Phrases to describe: I held my breath at key points, completely enthralled at the time, heart wrenching. But to be honest – no personal connection, so can’t remember a lot about it now.
Weird Fact: Stupidly, when the actors first started talking, I thought they sounded strange . . . . . no Shakespeare. . . . . :)
Like/Not like: Like, but see phrase above.
Sunday in the Park with George – the musical
Music and Lyrics Stephen Sondheim
Wyndham’s Theatre, London
Plot: How to explain?? A musical on the issues of artistic invention across two centuries; the first act, set in 19th Century Paris, the 2nd Act set in 1980’s America . . . . each artist in their time, ahead of popular taste. . . . .
Set/Costume/ Music etc: A white set used fantastically as the backdrop for a series of animation sequences. It was 1930’s set meets 21st century inventions. Favourite animation was a dog, running from one well-placed canvas to the other. Music – live of course. It was just so Sondheim – he has these key phrases and melodies that pop up in all of his musicals, and the cheek to try and fit as many words into a line as possible. Good stuff. In such a small theatre, the cast probably didn’t need microphones, as it seemed a bit processed.
Standout: Jenna Russell as Dot / Marie. Wonderful expressions, beautiful singing etc.
Phrases to describe: Completely random. The second act is almost a different musical. Crap second half! Great cast. I love Sondheim, so great music/lyrics.
Weird Fact: For all that I know about Sondheim, I had not idea about the plot for the second half!
Like/Not like: Overall like – reasons above. Not like – for the reasons above!
Romeo and Juliet – William Shakespeare
RSC Company
Royal Shakespeare Theatre
Plot: In fair Verona where we lay our scene . . . . Two lovers . . . really please. Is there anyone who doesn’t know the story?
Set/Costume/ Music etc: Brilliant music, sung by an amazing trio of women. Very spine tingling and urethral. The set – a set within a set, with cast members sitting around the stage watching the action. Worked well. Interesting way of doing the balcony scene (think of the Hatch in Lost, and you have the idea).
Standouts: Jamie Ballard as Mercutio. A brilliant performance, and he lit up the stage every time he walked on. After his death, the production lost its sparkle.
Phrases to describe: Long (it was the full text), dark, fight scenes were done with tap shoes and sticks (no swords, fights, or blood to be seen)
Weird Fact: for all my Shakespeare viewing, this was the first time I had every seen R + J performed.
Like / Not like: Average. A few good moments, but it didn’t get the heart a fluttering. Perhaps because I think Juliet is an idiot.
Embers – by Christopher Hampton (based on the novel by Sandor Marai)
Duke of York’s Theatre, London
Plot: 1940, Europe. Two old men, having not seen each other for 40 years, met again. Questions are asked about the relationships each had with the woman who came between them.
Set/Costume/ Music etc: A sparsely furnished room in a seemingly large house. Wonderful use of a fire. Sparse but effective sound effects and music.
Standout: Jeremy Irons. Star of the piece. Played a man 20 yrs older than himself. Has an intensity that I could feel 4 rows back.
Phrases to describe: I held my breath at key points, completely enthralled at the time, heart wrenching. But to be honest – no personal connection, so can’t remember a lot about it now.
Weird Fact: Stupidly, when the actors first started talking, I thought they sounded strange . . . . . no Shakespeare. . . . . :)
Like/Not like: Like, but see phrase above.
Sunday in the Park with George – the musical
Music and Lyrics Stephen Sondheim
Wyndham’s Theatre, London
Plot: How to explain?? A musical on the issues of artistic invention across two centuries; the first act, set in 19th Century Paris, the 2nd Act set in 1980’s America . . . . each artist in their time, ahead of popular taste. . . . .
Set/Costume/ Music etc: A white set used fantastically as the backdrop for a series of animation sequences. It was 1930’s set meets 21st century inventions. Favourite animation was a dog, running from one well-placed canvas to the other. Music – live of course. It was just so Sondheim – he has these key phrases and melodies that pop up in all of his musicals, and the cheek to try and fit as many words into a line as possible. Good stuff. In such a small theatre, the cast probably didn’t need microphones, as it seemed a bit processed.
Standout: Jenna Russell as Dot / Marie. Wonderful expressions, beautiful singing etc.
Phrases to describe: Completely random. The second act is almost a different musical. Crap second half! Great cast. I love Sondheim, so great music/lyrics.
Weird Fact: For all that I know about Sondheim, I had not idea about the plot for the second half!
Like/Not like: Overall like – reasons above. Not like – for the reasons above!


<< Home