Sunday, November 12, 2006

REVIEW - Taming of the Shrew

Taming of the Shrew
Propeller
Courtyard Theatre, Stratford upon Avon



The Shrew – one of Shakespeare’s better known plays, one of his most talked about, one of his most hated. Controversial for it’s treatment of a woman; but is it a sexist play? Did Shakespeare side with Petruchio or Kate?

The production by Propeller is part of the Royal Shakespeare Company’s Complete Works Festival. Propeller is “an all male Shakespeare Company, which mixes a rigorous approach to the text with a modern physical aesthetic.” Directed by Edward Hall, it was exceptionally performed. I was surprised at the strong emotions I felt during the show. I was MAD!!!! I watched the second half with hands clenched, wishing I could stalk on stage and hit Petruchio. How could a man stave and beat a woman - all in the name of love? The play went from comedy (and excellent comedy it was), to dark and grim and back again rapidly.

Halls version portrayed Kate as the fiery victim, who loses the will to fight back. I desperately wanted Petruchio to do something to redeem himself, as most productions choose to play it. But he didn’t, and I think the production was more powerful because of this.

It was also more powerful because of the all male cast. They got away with more than they probably could with a woman performer. Simon Scardifield played Kate exceptionally; I kept looking at him. His physical portrayal and facial expressions were so emotive I was moved to tears, as he perfectly captured the desperation and loss of self that Kate faced.

The set design (by Michael Pavelka) was simple but effective. Large wardrobes moved around upstage were used as entrances/exits, tipped over for tables, sat on top of, and peered through. Dependant on the light the doors were either mirrored or see through.

An impressively large, multicoloured chandelier hung from the ceiling, but didn’t do much except dress the stage. Good use of chairs to represent sitting at a table and the church. The backdrop was a screen of changing artwork. It was abstract, with grey, pink and blue tones throughout, including the lighting. Somewhat surreal.

The costumes were circa 1970s – loud shirts and platform shoes. Each suited the characters well, and at times received a lot of laughs. Congratulations to Dugald Bruce Lockhart (Petruchio) and Jason Baughan (Grumio) who ably performed scenes in G-strings. Good basic lighting design by Mark Howland and Ben Ormeod.

Outstanding performances as a whole, but my other favourites were Jack Tarlton playing Hortensio and Tony Bell playing Tranio.

The music, composed and performed by the Propeller Company was effective - little bursts during scene changes or to add ambience. They used clarinet, trombone, electric piano, guitars, and voice to great use – the cast are multitalented!

Overall, a brilliant production that made you think deeply about the issues involved. This was Shrew as it should be. Brutal, unforgiving, and raw.



Propeller is touring with this show. Visit
http://www.propeller.org.uk/ for details.