Assignment # 5 - Interview
Chloe Malendewicz
Chloe Malendewicz is a remarkable young woman. She has experienced moments in life most people never will. Travels, learning, death, family. It always links back to her family.
Chloe, 21, was born in Yorkshire to middle class parents Ray and Elaine. She is the middle of three girls – Laura, Chloe and Sophie. She bubbles with laughter and life, and has an open, warm personality. Now living in Stratford-Upon-Avon, she is undertaking her Masters in Arts in Shakespeare Studies, complementing her Bachelor of Arts in History.
Chloe is close to her family and talks about them constantly. She talks about their travels, their troubles, about Sophie, and about Laura.
Laura died in 1987 at the age of four and a half from blood poisoning. She spent her short life in and out of hospitals. “The blood poisoning shouldn’t really have happened. . . if they’d caught it they probably would have been able to fix it. . .”
Chloe remembers the night Laura died. “I was two and a half. . . I just remember being told off by my granddad because I was throwing teddy bears in the hospital . . . I remember him just really shouting at me because obviously . . . I didn’t understand what was happening.”
The memory, with its innocence and imagery, explains in part her closeness with Sophie, six years her junior. Sophie was unexpected and Chloe remembers being “really upset. I wanted a dog.” Her reservations didn’t last and the two are best friends.
One of Chloe’s favourite memories is from when she was 12 and Sophie six. They were in a playground when another girl aged around 10, threw sand at Chloe. Laughing, Chloe tells how Sophie stormed up; “and she is small – we’re quite a short family,” and pushed the girl, saying; ‘Don’t you go near my sister!’
The love is evident. Chloe gets angry if she knows someone is hurting Sophie. “If she came home and someone had upset her, I’d happily go into school and rip their hair out.”
Ripping out hair aside, she is determined to look out for her sister. “I’m really protective . . . .I think that’s because I’ve lost one.”
370 words
Chloe Malendewicz is a remarkable young woman. She has experienced moments in life most people never will. Travels, learning, death, family. It always links back to her family.
Chloe, 21, was born in Yorkshire to middle class parents Ray and Elaine. She is the middle of three girls – Laura, Chloe and Sophie. She bubbles with laughter and life, and has an open, warm personality. Now living in Stratford-Upon-Avon, she is undertaking her Masters in Arts in Shakespeare Studies, complementing her Bachelor of Arts in History.
Chloe is close to her family and talks about them constantly. She talks about their travels, their troubles, about Sophie, and about Laura.
Laura died in 1987 at the age of four and a half from blood poisoning. She spent her short life in and out of hospitals. “The blood poisoning shouldn’t really have happened. . . if they’d caught it they probably would have been able to fix it. . .”
Chloe remembers the night Laura died. “I was two and a half. . . I just remember being told off by my granddad because I was throwing teddy bears in the hospital . . . I remember him just really shouting at me because obviously . . . I didn’t understand what was happening.”
The memory, with its innocence and imagery, explains in part her closeness with Sophie, six years her junior. Sophie was unexpected and Chloe remembers being “really upset. I wanted a dog.” Her reservations didn’t last and the two are best friends.
One of Chloe’s favourite memories is from when she was 12 and Sophie six. They were in a playground when another girl aged around 10, threw sand at Chloe. Laughing, Chloe tells how Sophie stormed up; “and she is small – we’re quite a short family,” and pushed the girl, saying; ‘Don’t you go near my sister!’
The love is evident. Chloe gets angry if she knows someone is hurting Sophie. “If she came home and someone had upset her, I’d happily go into school and rip their hair out.”
Ripping out hair aside, she is determined to look out for her sister. “I’m really protective . . . .I think that’s because I’ve lost one.”
370 words


<< Home