Sunday, September 18, 2005

HRR

So I was surfing the net yesterday, for myself rather than work reasons. A rare occurence - sometimes I feel like I'm permanently attached to my many work emails. (that's one of the problems with having four jobs - many different email addresses that you have to remember. Plus phone numbers. And postal address. And, oh never mind you get the picture).

Anyway, I was surfing around the UK, looking up things and checking out the dates of when things are on. this is for the big trip away next year. Bookings have opened for the Complete Works Festival, and I was dismayed to find that some of the travelling shows (ie, from other countries), were only staying in Stratford for a few days. So, not only do I have to book asap for those, but have to figure out if all the other things I want to do are going to clash.

So far so good. But I digress completely! I was on the Henley Royal Regatta site (www.hrr.co.uk) which is one of the things I can't miss. I am a former rower (you wouldn't know it, looking at me), and love the sport. so the HRR is a must.

On the site, I came accross the rules for the Members enclosure. I quote;
"Gentlemen are required to wear lounge suits, or jackets or blazers with flannels, and a tie or cravat. Ladies are required to wear dresses or suits with a hemline below the knee and will not be admitted wearing divided skirts, culottes or trousers of any kind. . . .. Members are particularly asked to bring this custom to the attention of their Guests, to ensure that the standards are maintained and to avoid the possibility of embarrassment of a Guest being refused admission."

I love it. Am I weird for saying that? I think its just so proper - and I laugh, but secretly (hm, ok, maybe not), I think it is a wonderful thing. Pity I don't know any members . . . .

I'm looking forward to this trip. VERY VERY MUCH!!! :)